Spicy Roast Pumpkin Patties
These are a weekend creation and the result was a scrumptious , tasty patties that can be served for a lunch with friends and is great as dinner for the whole family! My boys, who have never liked cooked pumpkin, apart from reluctantly in soup, said about these “Mum, these aren’t bad!” and proceeded to eat two each. High praise indeed especially from a teen! They have agreed that these have made it to the family meals repertoire
- 3 cups of pumpkin cut in small cubes
- 1 large onion diced
- ½ red pepper diced small
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes optional
- olive oil for roasting and pan frying
- ½ cup cooked corn fresh, frozen or tinned
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tsp Italian herbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- ¾ cup chickpea flour also called besan, gram or garbanzo flour
- Place the pumpkin, onion, pepper, garlic and chilli flakes in a roasting pan with a few splashes of olive oil mixed through.
- Bake at 175C for 20 – 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is nice and soft and a little golden on the outside. Let cool for 10 minutes or so.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked veggies with the corn, brown rice, seeds, salt and herbs.
- Mix gently together. The pumpkin will break up and mash a little here and there and this is good to help with the binding of the patties.
- Stir in the flour and mix it through well.
- Using heaped tablespoon of the mixture, form into patties and press firmly together. These can be chilled before cooking later or you can cook them straight away.
- Fry in a small amount of olive oil for 2 – 3 minutes on each side until golden and firm. If preferred they can be fan baked in the oven for 10 minutes on each side or grilled on fan grill.
- Enjoy these scrumptious patties!