This Palak Tofu is super easy to make and SO delicious! It is both Dairy-free and gluten-free yet still has a gorgeous creamy texture and is bursting with flavour and spices.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 X 400g blocks of quality tofu I enjoy the Tonzu Organic brand
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Creamy Spinach Curry
- 4 cups packed Spinach chopped and washed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup soaked raw cashews soak for a few hours or overnight
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar or maple syrup
- A few Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions cut into half moons
- 5 garlic cloves crushed or chopped
- a generous inch cube of ginger chopped fine or grated
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Lemon wedges/lemon juice
- ½ cup toasted raw cashews
- additional coconut cream to drizzle
- paprika to sprinkle for colour
- In a pan, heat the oil on medium. Chop the tofu into small squares and add to the oil. Mix to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to lightly brown. Add all the spices under Spicy Tofu and mix well to coat. Continue to cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until coated and golden. Put to the side.
- Heat the oil and place the sliced onions in on medium heat – cook for 10 minutes or so stirring regularly until well softened. Add the chilli flakes, garlic, ginger, salt and garam masala. Cook for a further 5 – 7 minutes until the onion is well coated and everything is softened. Do Step 3 during this process if you like to multi task!
- Meanwhile, wash the spinach and add it and all the other ingredients under Spinach curry to the blender. Blend into a smooth puree.
- Add the puree to the onion mixture, mix well and allow to heat through and gently bubble until it thickens to a gravy consistency (10 – 15 mins). Next, taste the sauce and add juice of half a lemon juice and more garam masala and salt if desired.
- Finally add the spiced tofu and loosely stir through until warmed leaving a few bits to put on top if desired.
- Serve on steamed brown rice, quinoa or ‘golden rice’ with a drizzle of coconut cream and sprinkled with toasted cashews and a dusting of paprika for colour and contrast. Plus a gorgeous simple green salad on the side!