Vegan Lentil Spaghetti Bolognaise
Here is one of many family’s favourite dishes – “Spag Bol” only minus the mince! Using all the same tomato and herby flavours is what makes this dish a winner and a great regular easy meal for the family.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 finely chopped onions
- ½ tsp chilli paste or flakes
- 900 g 2 cups cooked brown lentils (or two tins of brown lentils)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tins quality chopped tomatoes
- or equivalent tomato pasta sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp tamari optional
- ¼ – ½ cup fresh parsley chopped fine
- ¼ – ½ cup fresh basil chopped fine
- ½ tsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat onions, garlic and chilli until soft and clear.
- Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, tinned tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Bring to the boil and then put heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add most of fresh herbs and simmer for a further few minutes.
- Serve on your favourite gluten-free pasta or a bed of brown rice, sprinkled with remaining fresh herbs and some nut parmesan cheese!